Prayer Alert, September 3rd, 2015
In Kaduna state, 33 people were reportedly killed on Saturday during raids on two villages in the Sanga area. Three people were reported dead and two others injured in a raid on Okuke village in Delta state in southern Nigeria.
Our partners also report that Fulanis killed five people in Barkin Ladi and two people in Riyom, Plateau state, over the weekend.
They warn that Fulanis are extending their reach into the south as the Government focuses on tackling Boko Haram, the Islamist terrorist group, in the north.
Last week hundreds of Christians from Plateau state travelled to the capital Abuja to meet with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and protest about ongoing attacks on their communities. Ban Ki-moon was in Nigeria to meet President Muhammadu Buhari.
Their petition stated: 'From May this year, the attacks on our villages have increased in frequency and intensity. The people of Riyom and Barkin Ladi are worst hit. An average of ten people are killed every week.' Local Christians say militants have established a camp in Riyom, near Jos, and are planning further attacks.
- Please pray that Christians in Nigeria will put their trust in God and know that He is 'a very present help in trouble' (Psalm 46:1).
- For comfort for those bereaved by the latest attacks.
- That more planned attacks will be thwarted.
- Pray for wisdom and courage for the Nigerian authorities; that they will have firm resolve to tackle Fulani militants as well as Islamist extremists.
- Please ask God to heal Pastor Emmanuel Danjuma, who was beaten and stabbed on a visit to Kaduna in April. He is still in hospital and recently suffered a relapse.